Tutorial at SciPy2024

Hi all,

I’ll be at SciPy2024, July 8-9, Tacoma, WA. I presume several others in the community will be there as well. Is there any interest in giving a tutorial?

Deadline for submissions is February 27th.

Stéfan

1 Like

I had a great time last time, doing a joined tutorial with Napari together with @jni and @kne42 and would be tempted to do so again. Regardless of who of us (skimage) and Napari will be there I think it worked very well together.

I’m surprised you are so positive about it after your travel woes last time @lagru :joy: But yes, it was good and it would be good to get a do-over. We can even update our filtering lesson with @stefanv’s explanation of why convolution inverts the filter order. :smiley:

I’d be happy to participate, or not, whichever is most helpful :slight_smile: It’d be good to get other community members & core team involved.

Magic of adrenaline and cortisol I guess. :sweat_smile:

@jni, With the submission deadline closing in, do you have more information from Napari’s side? Would you want to present the Napari part again?

From scikit-image’s site @stefanv and me had the idea to invite @agdev as well, and from what he told me he’s very interested in helping with the tutorial. :blush:

I’m happy to kick this off once we have an idea who will be participating in the tutorial officially and unofficially (moral support and questions). :wink:

1 Like

Oh, it would be very helpful if you still have your text from last years submission lying around. I didn’t find anything in our archive.

Yes, I can do the napari side at a minimum. (ie maybe we can get someone else from the napari team to participate, which would be ideal, but I’m happy to do it if not.)

I think this is a fantastic idea! But — do you know what his visa situation is? I hear travel to the US from African countries can be a huge nightmare and take months to approve. So we should get this process started.

I’ll post on the napari Zulip. But I’m in either way. (But will hand off my section at the earliest opportunity :sweat_smile:.)

1 Like

Hi @jni, you are right about the visa situation coming from Africa. However, with the kind of visa (B-1), the reputation of the conference and my sponsors, it should be a pleasant experience. Also, it always helps to put in an application early. With the conference scheduled for July, that’s an ample enough time to get an interview scheduled.

Thanks @stefanv and @lagru for the consideration.

1 Like