Recommends mechanisms whereby (a) library functions can be overridden by external implementors and (b) dispatching can take place based on foreign data structures.
For more background, please see:
- Blog post: A vision for extensibility to GPU & distributed support for SciPy, scikit-learn, scikit-image and beyond
- Concept proposal: A proposed design for supporting multiple array types across SciPy, scikit-learn, scikit-image and beyond
- Technical implementation questions: Default dispatching behavior for supporting multiple array types across SciPy, scikit-learn, scikit-image
- scikit-image discussion: Support for array types other than NumPy
- Further technical discussion: Requirements and discussion of a type dispatcher for the ecosystem