Quick Survey of the Scientific Python Community

Hello everybody!

I’m Matt and I’m a contributor to NetworkX who is also an undergraduate student taking a technical communications class. Our final project is to write a white paper and the topic that I chose was the effects of between-project collaboration for open source software, making Scientific Python an excellent option for me to focus on.

I would greatly appreciate if you would take a few minutes to complete this quick eight question poll to give me a better understanding of the Scientific Python community.

(I’m also not sure how to categorize this post, so apologizes if there is a better place for it)

How many open source projects do you contribute to?

0 voters

How many hours a week do you devote to open source contributions? (Remember, these do not have to be only code)

0 voters

Are you paid for your open source contributions?

• No, volunteer only
  • Yes, by my employer
  • Yes, by a grant
  • Yes, other

0 voters

Overall, do you think your project(s) will adopt at least one SPEC once they are endorsed?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

How did you learn about the Scientific Python organization?

• I was already a contributor / maintainer for a core project.
  • Conference
  • Friend
  • Internet

0 voters

What benefits do you hope will come from participating in the Scientific Python community?

• Increased publicity for my project(s).
  • Participating in events and meet-ups to discuss issues my project(s) are facing.
  • Learning how to build and maintain a package (release management, CI, documentation, etc).
  • Being able to resolve technical issues with the help of contributors to different projects.
  • Defining and adopting community standards and specifications.
  • There are no benefits

0 voters

What potential risks do you feel could come from the Scientific Python organization?

• New, innovative projects being overshadowed by reliance on the core projects.
  • Scientific Python pushing too much standardization onto packages.
  • Stagnation of the core projects due to pressures to keep them static or failure to reach a consensus within the community.
  • None of the above :grinning:

0 voters

Do you feel that you have a clear understanding of the leadership and community structure of Scientific Python?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

If you have any other comments or insights, please share them in this thread.

1 Like